[NBLUG/talk] Debian module install

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu May 29 22:38:00 PDT 2003

mrp said:
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 11:00:49PM -0500, Warren Raquel wrote:
>> That's where I was. The install of the module failed. I selected the
>> 3c59x module and I got the "Installation failed" message.
>
> Try typing cntl-alt-F2, and that will (probably) get you to the console
> with the installation messages.  This might give a more detailed
> explanation of what failed during the install.
>
> (This works in the most recent RedHat and Mandrake installs that I've
> done, I'm not sure if it'll work during a debian install.  Someone
> more familiar with that distro will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.

When in the second virtual terminal, press return to activate the terminal.

While there try this:
# lsmod
See if it is already installed.

Next, if it still does not work, retstart the install. Choose all of the
same options just like you have this time around *but* make sure the very
first module you load is for the 3x59x. See if this change in order helps.

Wy could order help? Dependencies. I think that loading of network based
modules (like nfs, smbfs, etc) without having your card loaded can create
a blocking condition preventing loading of your network module. (This was
an issue with Deb 2.2, but not sure about 3.0.)

Seeif this helps, please let us know what fixes your problems. This will
help others who google for answers to know what helped you and possibly
make it helpful for them.

-ME