[NBLUG/talk] Linux Gamers, Help...

Kyle Rankin greenfly at greenfly.net
Fri May 30 09:45:02 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 09:33:10AM -0700, Edward Mendoza wrote:

> Last night I was playing at the "Electronic Warrior" (a computer game LAN on
> Fourth St in downtown Santa Rosa) and I asked the owner why he doesn't run
> Linux on his +25 machines. He explained that, unfortunately, the most
> popular games (such as Counter Strike and other first person shooters) need
> Windoze to run. I didn't question what he said but I wonder if it's
> completely true.
>
> Aren't there plenty of patches and tweaks available for the Linux
> environment to be able to play most games?
>
> If there are please let me know because the owner would love nothing more
> than to liberate his small business from Microcrap; he hates them with a
> passion. He now uses Debian to route his two DSL lines for his LAN.

It really depends on the game.  Many games, specifically FPSs are native to
Linux, such as all the Quake and Doom series, Unreal Tournament and UT2003,
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  Other games aren't native but work fine
(and in the case of Counterstrike, have for some time now) under Linux by
using wine (or winex).  Games in this category include Counterstrike, Deus
Ex, Tribes (I think Tribes 2 is Linux native).  These games work mostly on
a game-by-game basis and you need to check on the wine or winex site to see
what works and what doesn't.

This screenshot illustrates all the various FPSs that are working on my
home system.  The only one listed that isn't a native Linux program is Deus
Ex.

http://greenfly.org/fps-screenshot.jpg  (warning, 500K 2560x960 image)

--
Kyle Rankin (greenfly)