[NBLUG/talk] Red Hat go bye bye

error error at sonic.net
Wed Nov 5 15:24:01 PST 2003

> So obviously, except for my RH7.3 machine that is going to stay that way,
> I'm wondering what might be good migration options. I know that there is
> another distrubution that uses rpm files (I like em, but can do without
> them). Also there is this Fudora, which I know next to nothing about, even
> after going over the web page. Is it going to be a less well supported
> version of RH?

I have to ask, why stick with RPMS?

I mean, if you are going to migrate, why not just drop RPM based
distros?

Fedora might be the answer but I suspect this is a good reason to drop
RedHat for Debian.

This isn't going to happen to Debian because they aren't a distro with
the same approach to the world.

> I know that service scripts are handled differently amongst the
> distrbutions and admit I am fond of the RH style "service start xfs" etc.

That's not hard to emulate.

Debian has the /etc/init.d/ssh start also if you are up for a bit of a
change.

I believe someone wrote a program to emulate (perhaps a port of that
one) that.

--
error <error at sonic.net>