[NBLUG/talk] why is Samba so bloody awful

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Nov 17 17:30:04 PST 2003

Bob Blick said:
> Thanks for replying.
>
> ME said:
>> There are only a few ways that Windows machines find new machines in the
>> network.
>>
>> One method existed with the MS Windows 9X share-based model where a
>> Master Domain Browser would claim to be the keeper of machine names on
>> the network. Then, when new machines came up, they would ask the network
>> via broadcast, "who is the master domain browser" to which only one
>> machine should reply. If no machines reply, then a machine may become
>> one and/or force an election, where by each machine states how manly it
>> is via OS Version, hardware speed, etc. The master browser keeps tracks
>> of names of machines and stuff necessary such that when a person hits
>> the network neighborhood to see computers near them or workgroups, the
>> master browser will be the only one to respond.
>
> This is how it is here.
>
>> Though it may be some work to setup, why not go with WINS for your
>> network?
>
> I don't want to break a functioning system. However, for giggles, I
> isolated two machines and tried it with the new linux box as the WINS
> server. No errors, but no work either.

"no work either" ? The machine canot be found on the network? I thought
the problem was being able to see the other machine's and its shares?

What does not work? Can you be more specific?

  /-----------------------\--------------------\
Machine 1           Machine 2             Machine 3
(WINS on)           Specify WINS IP       Specify WINS IP
                    at IP of Machine 1    at IP of machine 1

All machines in the same group.
Authentication on the linux boxes matches the model you have chosen.

And one of the machines (machine 2 or machine 3) cannot see Machine 1?

>> If you are using the share-based model, make sure all of the machines
>> are: 1) Using "Workgroups" and not "domains" or "active directory"
>> 2) Are in the same workgroup
>
> Yes, this is how it is.

And what do your logs say?