[NBLUG/talk] recommendations for distro

Kevin Dwan kevind at sonic.net
Thu Nov 20 19:00:04 PST 2003

I have some Unix experience, but I'm new to Linux. I'm planning on putting
a second HD on my NT workstation, installing either XP or W2000 on it
(which I need for applications like FrameMaker), and making a Linux
partition. I don't have any particular focus for using Linux. On Windows, I
use Borland'sJBuilder to code Java, and Delphi.

Red Hat says the  download is 650MB, and while I'm on DSL, I'm thinking of
paying a little money for a CD and being sure I've gotten all the pieces.
Programmer's Paradise has RH 9(.0, I think) for $40. They don't carry
Mandrake, which I've read is a little friendlier to install, but the
O'Reilly book I looked at and many others seem to focus on RedHat, so
without better information, that's the way I'll go.

I'd welcome any comments or suggestions about getting this done. If I'm
about to step wrong, please let me know.

Cheers.....

Kevin Dwan				voice: 707-823-7077
kevind at sonic.net