[NBLUG/talk] recommendations for distro

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 20 19:34:00 PST 2003

If you're willing to spend money on it, you might consider buying Red
Hat's boxed CD's.  They would cost a little more than $40, but you get a
few months of free tech support.

A month of free support by telephone (which comes with one of the boxed
sets, but I can't remember which) might be especially handy if you
experience difficulties with network configuration and cannot access our
mailing list.

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 19:04, Kevin Dwan wrote:
> I have some Unix experience, but I'm new to Linux. I'm planning on putting
> a second HD on my NT workstation, installing either XP or W2000 on it
> (which I need for applications like FrameMaker), and making a Linux
> partition. I don't have any particular focus for using Linux. On Windows, I
> use Borland'sJBuilder to code Java, and Delphi.
>
> Red Hat says the  download is 650MB, and while I'm on DSL, I'm thinking of
> paying a little money for a CD and being sure I've gotten all the pieces.
> Programmer's Paradise has RH 9(.0, I think) for $40. They don't carry
> Mandrake, which I've read is a little friendlier to install, but the
> O'Reilly book I looked at and many others seem to focus on RedHat, so
> without better information, that's the way I'll go.
>
> I'd welcome any comments or suggestions about getting this done. If I'm
> about to step wrong, please let me know.
>
> Cheers.....
>
> Kevin Dwan				voice: 707-823-7077
> kevind at sonic.net

Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net>
(yes, I finally switched away from Hotmail!)