[NBLUG/talk] RH9 -> Fedora Core...

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sat Nov 22 00:08:00 PST 2003

Mark Street said:
> I just went from RH9 to Fedora Core on my Dell Inspiron 5100 in a little
> over
> 1 hour.  Performed an upgrade right over RH9 running Ximian 2 Desktop.  No
> problems other than having to UNinstall galeon web browser to have yum do
> its
> updates.  Installed the wireless drivers and recompiled my broadcomm
> onboard
> NIC driver and I'm done in less than 2 hours.

Very cool stuff! This would be a case where RedHat has an example of a
smooth transition in major revision upgrade. (It is good to hear they are
doing much better in this area and making it easier for users to upgrade.)

I hope they continue with this trend to retain their userbase and
encourage more new customers. (This will be a critical step in retaining
the enterprise customer, as enterprise customers won't want to be
encouraged to install new OS instead of installing the new OS as an
upgrade whose procedure  works seamlessly with the data on the old system
so as to not break anything or cause any problems.)

I'd like to encourage all people to post positive changes in their
favorite distribution with newer major releases. (Things like improvements
to installers, and user interface.)

Thanks,
-ME