[NBLUG/talk] H-P Digital Camera and Linux

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Tue Nov 25 14:21:00 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:20:15PM -0800, Mark Janes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ~   A few days ago, while at OfficeMax I saw a Hewlett-Packard 2.1
> megapixel camera on sale fo $69 ($74 and change with tax). At first I
> thought I might need to run a version of M$ to access the images, but by
> switching the camera USB configuration from Digital Camera to Disk Drive
> mode, as recommended for Macintosh users (the manual says this is
> actually the Mass Storage Device Class standard), all I had to do in
> Linux was hook the camera and computer together via USB cable. The
> kernel automatically loaded the appropriate module and wrote an entry in
> /etc/fstab, setting the device mount point of /media/sda1. After going
> down a couple of directory levels I found all my images, which were
> easily transferred to the images directory on my computer. Hope this
> helps anyone who runs Linux and wants a digital camera which works
> easily with this operating system. Also, while this is off-topic, while
> tinkering with M$ Win98 I was reminded- and astonished- how brittle that
> OS is:  it seemed to crash at the drop of a hat and required rebooting
> to change even minor settings. No wonder so many people hate M$.

Pretty cool.  In my experience, every Olympus digital camera I've tried has
worked over USB out of box (provided the usb hard drive modules are loaded
etc.), just plug it in and go.  I even wrote a quick script to run while I
was on vacation, to sync up the pictures and date them, then run gthumb on
the new directory so I could see them:

   #!/bin/sh
   mount /mnt/camera
   mkdir -p /home/greenfly/photos/`date +%Y-%m-%d`
   cp -iv /mnt/camera/dcim/100olymp/* /home/greenfly/photos/`date +%Y-%m-%d`/
   umount /mnt/camera
   gthumb /home/greenfly/photos/`date +%Y-%m-%d` &

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org