[NBLUG/talk] Security guides..

Steve Johnson srj at adnd.com
Sat Oct 11 03:40:06 PDT 2003

I was just wondering (yah I cant sleep again :P)  Is there a good guide
out there that walks you through checking your system to see if it has
been hacked?  I know most boxes are rooted by script kiddies, and as a
matter of fact the last 3 or more machines that I detected an intruder,
the kiddies were to stupid to clean their tracks.  (left directories
like ... or ". something")

What are some good steps for auditing a system?  If you were to be hired
to check out someones linux (or even bsd) box, what would be some of the
things you would check first?

-Steve