[NBLUG/talk] Permissions question

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Thu Oct 16 20:23:00 PDT 2003

On Thursday 16 October 2003 13:04, Todd Cary wrote:
> I am running Apache and my Web root is
> /home/httpd/

ServerRoot /etc/httpd or DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html

Apache 1.3* or Apache 2 ??
What ftp server are you using?
Why do you set the group to adm on the brianpics dir, set it to the owner and
the user private group brianpics.

> I want to give a user ftp ability into a Web directory so I create a
> user, "brianpics" with his home directory, "/home/httpd/brianpics".
>
> The folder is owned by "brianpics" and the group is "adm" with privileges
>
> drwxrwxr--
>
> I cannot remember the parameter in Apache, however it makes it so a user
> cannot change directories above his.

???????  Apache has nothing to do with his ability to place files with ftp or
anyother means in his home dir.

You might create his home dir in the normal location and set a symbolic link
to his picture dir under the web space.

You need to relax and let it all soak in a bit.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer