[NBLUG/talk] moving directories

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sun Oct 19 10:57:00 PDT 2003

/etc is a definite no no.

Let's talk about the directories you MAY do this to safely.  Really this
should be planned for in advance of partitioning and placing the new
drive(s).

/usr - is a fairly sizeable portion of the filesystem, can be as much as
1-2GIG depending on how much software you have installed on the system.
If you want you can even break off /usr/local and or /usr/src/ onto their own
partition.

/tmp

/var and /var/spool, /var/www, /var/ftp, etc... - if it is a mail, print,
news, web, ftp server

/home

/boot is sometimes broken off and placed at the beginning of the boot drive.

Depending on the type of system there may be other portions of the filesystem
you might want to break off the /.  There is a method to the madness though.

Reference a good doc on this subject, this one has been around for quite some
time.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.html

http://www.streetchiro.com/linux
MyIntro to Linux Sys Admin course at SRJC is undergoing this exercise at the
moment and I have a Wiki setup for all the steps.  It might help you out.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer