[NBLUG/talk] Debian loadable kernel modules

Rob Orsini orsini at sonic.net
Tue Oct 21 13:19:01 PDT 2003

>Rob Orsini said:
> > I'm confused about how Debian knows what kernel modules to load on
> > startup.  When I look at /etc/modules I see only a fraction of what's
> > listed using lsmod.  The reason I got thinking about this is because I got
> > into some trouble over the weekend after a abrupt shutdown of my laptop,
> > and thereafter my nic modules were not loading (???).
>
>This does not make sense. If you upgraded a kernel without upgrading your
>pcmcia-cs or other 3rd party modules, I could see something like this
>happeneing. However, if no kernel upgrade, and no modifications to modules
>or the configurations of the modules were done between the last boot where
>everything loaded and the recent boot where they did not auto-load, I
>would examine changes to hardware or settings for hardware in BIOS.

Thanks for the details Mike.  Much appreciated.

I'm really not sure how my box got hosed. The facts are that my laptop ran out
of juice and turned itself off.  When I restarted, it ran through the disk
check deal
and failed with the suggestion that I login and run fsck manually, which I
did.  So, after
that, all started up normally but I couldn't get my wireless card to
work.  That's
when I started snooping around and found some very weird errors in dmesg. I
took some notes and saved a file with all the info I could dig up about the
problem but
I soon found myself way over my head.  In the end, simply insmoding a
module got me
going again.

Rob