[NBLUG/talk] Using plugger and Netscape Java

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Sep 15 08:52:00 PDT 2003

Todd Cary said:
> After reading the man for plugger, I am not sure of the syntax for
> entering the reference for the Java plugin.  Any help is appreciated...

Once you have your JavaPlugin properly installed, there is no need to have
plugger do anything.

Plugger was designed as a kind of crutch to permit applications that do
not have plugins for browsers, to actually be "launchable" from a browser.
When applications actually have plugins installed for your browser,
plugger does not need to be configured to tell the browser how to launch
applications with the plugin.

Examples:
Acroread (Adobe Acrobat reader) has a plugin, mplayer has a plugin
(mplugger)  the Java RE has a plugin (name depends on browser.) Each of
these do not need to have anything registered with plugger.

However, playing .au, .wav, or other audio files may require plugger if
you do not have some sort of audio plugin.

To finish the install of the JavaPLugin, try the sun docs for how to
install the plugin in a browser. (Other post has URL.)

-ME