[NBLUG/talk] How do I get RH to recognize wireless card?

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Fri Sep 19 22:08:01 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 09:25:06PM -0700, Mark Street wrote:
> TWO HIGH BEEPS Good!!! 70% of the hard stuff is done.  You have a good driver,
> the pcmcia card services recognizes the card.  We are almost in...
>
> The network interface..... to go....  I knew it would go down hill from there
> as guessing at your network address space and configuration was a crapshoot.
>
> We need some information, do you have a wireless access point or a wireless
> router? Y or N

No.  I want to set up an adhoc network (if I understand this right),
so I can connect the laptop with the desktop (which has a wireless
*pci* card that isn't working yet... I will apply what I learn here to
getting that one up, I hope.)

> If so have you configured the AP|ROUTER?

no.

> Existing network address space for your home/work network?

I'm afraid that I don't know what you mean here.  Do I need to set up
some sort of addresses for the machines so they recognize each other?

> How do you plan to connect this wireless machine to networks that you visit?

If I can get this card working (& I'm beginning to see some light at
the end of the tunnel), I plan on using it at SSU and getting access
into my student account with the card.  Otherwise, I want to be able
to log into the desktop from the laptop.

Thanks again, Mark.

-dave