[NBLUG/talk] Can't get 'at' working correctly

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Thu Apr 8 09:59:20 PDT 2004

> I can't get *any* "at" jobs to work properly as andrew.  I can
> create jobs, I can view the queue, and at the time the job is
> supposed to run "atq" shows an equal sign next to the job
> (meaning it's running), but nothing tangible happens.

Hrm.  Can you use cron?

What happens if you leave an "at" job in place?  Let it run &
(even if it seems to be doing nothing) don't "atrm" it... does
it eventually die?  What happens if you deliberately run a BAD
command via "at" (e.g. schedule "foobarbaz" (assuming you have
no such command on your system!) to run "at" some time)?

Cron & I *think* at both "should" report their run-time errors
via e-mail; have you checked the local mbox?

Can you see anything more via "ps"?  That is, schedule an "at"
job for time "T".  From a few seconds before "T" through a minute
or two after "T", snapshot the process table every second or so.

- Steve S.