[NBLUG/talk] Tunneling X over ssh

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Sat Apr 10 17:25:48 PDT 2004

> I'm trying to tunnel X between home and work. My situation
> has me hopping on a couple of machines inbetween. All linux
> boxes with a solaris box as one of the hops.
>
> On each box type:
>
>> ssh -X me at hop1
>> ssh -X me at hop2
>> ssh -X me at finalmachine
>
> Then, when I run 'xeyes' on the destination box, I get this:
>
> connect 127.0.0.1 port 6000: Connection refused
> X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server
> shutdown).
> Exit 1
>
> On all machines /etc/ssh/sshd_config contains:
> X11Forwarding yes
>
> I'm stumped. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Do you have "Xhost" & "$DISPLAY" set on the hosts?  I've never done
"hops" this way, only with the 2 start/end boxes, so I'm not sure
what/if you need to do in the middle.  Is X running everywhere it
needs to be?

I note that  "... : Connection refused"  is often characteristic of
the service not running (is X live?  Is it using the default port?)
or of a blocked service (firewall service?).

You say you're running "xeyes" on the "destination" host -- don't you
want to run it on the "origin" box and send it to the "destination"?

- Steve S.