[NBLUG/talk] Wireless Card Setup

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Tue Apr 27 13:22:08 PDT 2004

Hey, Bryce:

I have that same model (Belkin F5D6001) and it took me a bit of
hammering to get it working, but it works like a charm for me.  I'm
running Fedora Core 1 on the machine now, but I had the card working
on RH 9, too.  I think that as long as you have a recent kernel, you
can get this working.

I have a rambling how-to on my web page that I invite you to take a
look at.  I'll warn you though, it is mostly in the form of a "note to
myself" so don't feel bad if it's a bit opaque. (I also invite any
NBLUGers reading this to give it a once over and to offer any
constructive criticism that would make it more useful to the wider
world.)

The page is at:

http://users.arczip.com/habsmoi/wirelessInfo.html

I'd also say that based on your email (below), you need to learn some
more about networking.  I started out equally clueless about
networking, but if I can figure it out, you can too.  The questions
YAST is posing are the basic ones you need to answer no matter whether
you are using YAST or some other gui tool, or even the command line
(i.e. iwconfig).

Perhaps someone on the list can also suggest a good how-to for
beginners that can sort of spell out what you need to tell your
computer so it can find it's way to the router and then out to the
web.

Good luck, keep googling and don't give up!

-dave.