[NBLUG/talk] Changed Network

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Tue Apr 27 17:32:39 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 04:58:53PM -0700, Walter Hansen wrote:
> both nslookup and dig are instant in their responses.

Just to be clear, the above statement is true from an xterm as well as
from a pure console, correct?

Likewise, please verify that /etc/resolv.conf doesn't get mashed when
you start X on these machines.  They're servers though, so I'd assume X
does not usually run.  I'm unclear where you're running lynx from a
virtual console, or an xterm.

> [root at amanda sysconfig]# cat network
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=amanda
> GATEWAY=router

Shouldn't GATEWAY be an ip address?

Any http proxies in the picture? (I doubt it, since you said Pine hangs also)

Last, is there anything funny about /etc/host.conf ?
I'd think in your case it should read:
order hosts,bind

I just don't get why you can resolve a DSN name with host or dig but
apparently not with a browser.

-troy