[NBLUG/talk] New webserver

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Wed Apr 28 17:11:54 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:51:39PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:46:35PM -0700, Troy Arnold wrote:
> <snip>
> > If you're used to using Redhat GUI tools to configure things, then
> > you'll need to figure out the real way to do it, or install webmin.
>
> There's an apt KIOSlave for KDE's Konqueror, allowing you to just go
> to an URL "apt-get://" and see what you've got, what's available, etc. :^)
>
> Unfortunately, I ironically had trouble installing it on KDE 3.2 on
> a Woody system.  But, it's a pretty new plug-in. :^)

Hmm.  I'll have to check that out.  I purged KDE when 3.2 hit Sid since
I didn't want to see the noise from apt-get upgrade.  Speaking of major
upgrades, I've been thinking of playing with gnome 2.6, but am not ready
to start pulling packages from experimental.

> Ooh!  Tell me more about logcheck!

Logcheck scans your logs for things that it thinks could be problems,
and e-mails them to one or more people.  Of course, even with its
built-in ignore rules 99.42% of the stuff it finds is harmless, so you
have to spend some time adding ignore rules to it's database.

For instance, I really don't need to be notifed everytime someone sends
an email, so in /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/qmail I have a bunch of rules:
qmail: [0-9]+\.[0-9]+ starting delivery.*
qmail: [0-9]+\.[0-9]+ delivery [0-9]+: success:.*

The rules are specified using egrep syntax which threw me for a bit
since I'm more used to Perl regular expressions.

The only truly nefarious thing I've seen so far is people poking at ssh
and once at vftpd when I inadvertantly left it running.
Well, that and 200 IIS exploits per day :)

> > You do look at your logs, right? :-)
>
> Er... uhh... YEEeaaahh... :)

:)
Heh, well, you might now.  If I keep up on my logcheck rules, I end up
with only two or three e-mails a week.  This is for servers.  On my
desktop?  Yeah, I don't look at 'em either :-)

-troy