[NBLUG/talk] New webserver

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Wed Apr 28 17:54:41 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:46:29PM -0700, Walter Hansen wrote:
} Am I correct that this is a single iso (one cd)?
} Looks like debian has it's own package manager. Similar to RPMs?
} I'm seeing that it has a apache-perl module ready to go - nice.

I only ever burn CD#1 (out of about 7).  It will have 80% of what you
need, get the rest off the network.

.deb file are "similar" to rpms.  The installer apt-get is *MUCH* nicer.

"apt-get install apache" would download apache and all needed dependencies,
and install them all.

Debian has several times the number of packages available that Redhat
does.

In your /etc/apt/sources.list file you put a list of mirror servers,
I recommend these:

deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

And optionally these if you want non-US and source files:

deb http://non-us.debian.org/ stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/ stable/non-US main contrib non-free

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com