[NBLUG/talk] Changed Network

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Thu Apr 29 21:33:50 PDT 2004

Glad to hear you're getting your install sorted out.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:02:07PM -0700, Walter Hansen wrote:

> Debain is a lot different from RedHat or perhaps it's that I've only seen
> the simple install. 'service' got no response,

If you want monitored services, then search for a daemontools package.
'apt-cache search daemontools'  Given DJB's license, you'll have to
build it from source.  Or just do: /etc/init.d/servicename start|stop

> 'host' didn't work, but I think that's just because the networking
> packages it uses aren't there yet.

Yep.  Not sure of the package name on woody.  Here's another tip:
Install apt-file, then do 'apt-file update' then you can find what
package a file belongs to.  For instance: 'apt-file search bin/host'
That leads me to the 'host' package for Sid.  But IIRC it has a
different name on Woody. I used the leading 'bin/' because sometimes I
have no clue where the desired file might be, /sbin, /usr/bin etc...

Paul Larkin recently posted a pointer to a message from Debian Weekly
news with mention of a Debian reference card:
http://people.debian.org/~debacle/refcard/ This card has a nice summary
of valuable apt and dpkg commands (among other things)

> I'm not sure, but I don't think it has the multi-color directory
> listing I'm used to, oh well.

Here's what I did:
In my .bashrc:
export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
eval `dircolors /etc/DIR_COLORS`
alias ls='ls $LS_OPTIONS'
alias ll='ls $LS_OPTIONS -l'

I grabbed /etc/DIR_COLORS from shell.sonic.net

You might also try uncommenting the lines for bash_completion in
/etc/bash.bashrc (If they are there on Woody) I fairly recently
discovered this myself, and bash completion is neato!  It will give you
stuff like tab completion over ssh, and smart completion of many of the
apt-commands, tar and so on.  Sometimes it isn't so smart, and won't tab
complete something that it should, but those times are comparatively
rare.  filename completion over ssh is worth it alone!

-troy