Network Config (was Re: [NBLUG/talk] Changed Network)

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Fri Apr 30 15:22:41 PDT 2004

> Having one aDSL + one Broadlink is a big step toward redundance.  In the
> past 3 years or so, I think I've been unable to connect to Sonic maybe
> 15 times... of which 1 was a Sonic error (mostly they were telco issues,
> & once I forgot to notify Sonic when I canceled a credit-card that Sonic
> was autobilling; only once was an actual _error_ (or hardware failure)
> on Sonic's part.).  So if no single carrier can cut you off from Sonic's
> service, you've got a bit advantage.

    Yes I generally see losses of service in the minutes and it generally
only affects a certain group within the sonic network. As BroadLink
and aDSL are on seperate groups I don't think I've ever seen them go
down at the same time.

> Is the "balancing router" actually balancing?  That is, does it send
> traffic from both your 192.168.x.x networks more-or-less-equally over
> the wireless & DSL links?

   Yes, it lets me set the percentage. It seems to keep each "transaction"
over one line or the other and uses the percentage to randomly choose
the line.

>> You also have to consider that these are *simple* inexpenisve routers
>> and not cisco 2500s. All the routers were purchased for less than the
>> cost of a single cisco router. Yes a single Cisco router could do the
>> same job and that was a considered option.
>
> OK.  So you need the functions each sitting on their own router.
>
> At that point, my biggest concern is maintenance/monitoring; it's
> a pain if your logs/reports/etc (from 3 routers) are collected on
> separate boxes, and/or if you have configs and change-control on
> separate boxes.

   Ummm. *simple* inxpensive routers don't have logs. Well the one router
can be set to log, but this seems to be only usefull while your
watching it and it doesn't seem to log packets, but rather connections.
You can set it to debug mode and watch it test it's connections. That's
what you loose with the price trade off of less than cisco equipment.