[NBLUG/talk] emacs font settings - what gives?

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Sat Aug 7 16:58:16 PDT 2004

Hey, everybody:

Does anybody have a clue as to why (and seemingly at random times)
emacs opens with the incorrect font-size?

When it goes wrong, it is either using the default emacs font-size
(too big) or something too tiny to see.  I like my font smallish, but
legible.

I have (tried to) set the font-size via both 'customize emacs' (under
the Options menu and via my .emacs file.  When I start emacs and get
the big font, I set it smaller (80), and when it starts with the small
font, I set it to be bigger (100).

Obviously, whatever I am setting is only relative to some phantom
setting that is overriding my preferences.  Remember, this does *not*
happen every  time I start emacs.  For the life of me I can't think of
what variable might have changed to cause the font-size shifts.

Do I have a poltergeist?  Help!

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley