[NBLUG/talk] Overly Sensitive Mouse /Debian Sarge 2.6

troy fryman at sonic.net
Tue Aug 10 08:17:47 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:11:21PM -0700, orsini wrote:
> Today I installed Debain Sarge at work (with the slick new installer)
> and mostly everything when smooth. The only problem is that my mouse
> (M$ Trackball Explorer) has become a bit touchy. When I click to open
> a terminal, it will pop open two. At first I thought this was some
> tripped out configuration (XFree86conf) but then I noticed that if I
> very carefully click on a launch icon, I can almost ensure that only
> one 'thing' opens as I intended with each click.
>
> Gnome has a setting in 'Mouse Preferences' called Sensitivity which
> seems to have something to do with this touchiness (I think) but it
> is listed under 'Speed' which make me a little confused about what it
> is supposed to adjust. So, what is it that I'm debugging here. Is it
> a 2.6 kernel thing, a XFree86 thing, a Gnome thing? Just not sure
> where to poke.

Doesn't the gnome mouse capplet have a setting for "double click
sensitivity" as well ?  You might not have that option as I'm not sure
that gnome 2.6 has fully made its way into sarge yet.

I'm pretty sure that 'speed' setting you're playing with only affects
how quickly the mouse pointer moves across the screen.

You could also check that it's using the correct pointer device in
XF86Config.

> Taking a random guess, I think it has something to do with the 2.6
> kernel. (Who knows why I chose 'linux26' when I just monkey with text
> files all day but that's what I did.)

I like 2.6.  2.4 needed a handful of patches before it was anywhere near
as responsive.

-troy