[NBLUG/talk] Networking quirks

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Wed Aug 25 20:00:21 PDT 2004

On 25 Aug 2004 at 17:22, Micxz wrote:
> >>Do you have the nameserver's IP in /etc/resolv.conf ?
> > the router's IP - if I use a real nameserver there's no delay.
>
> Wouldn't this be the problem? If you have no nameservers in
> resolv.conf/hosts and are not running a DNS server, then how do you
> resolve names at all?
> The router spits out ip/nameservers via DHCP?
Yes, that's the idea. The computer gets 192.168.0.1 for nameserver and
gateway, from the router, with DHCP. The router buffers all DNS
queries.

If I pull up the router's web-based status page, it shows that it's loaded
sonic's nameserver address. It gets that by DHCP from my DSL router.

> I think each client need to have it's own DNS settings to match the
> routers, am I wrong?
>
> Setup resolv.conf to have the sonic nameservers and your set.

Sure, but this is supposed to be a travel router, everything is normally
done automatically with DHCP.

And it all seems to work just fine from Windows. But with Linux, each
webpage takes up to a minute to load, depending on how many
different servers the content comes from.

I loaded the latest firmware, same thing. I'll take it to work tomorrow and
see if it works differently.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I'll post a message if I get it
to work - this router is very cool, about as big as a bar of soap, 802.11g
and $49 with rebate at newegg.

Cheerful regards,

Bob