[NBLUG/talk] No password on samba share?

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Mon Dec 6 18:31:09 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 02:43:17PM -0800, David wrote:
> BTW, this machine does not have an X server and I am not using SWAT to setup
> the smb.conf file. The overall objective is to get every windows box on the
> network to have full read/write on the share with out entering
> usernames/passwords every time they need to access the share.

If you have a Windows user named 'foobar' with a Windows password
matching the samba password of the samba user 'foobar', then you're set.

Of course, if your Windows users login with different usernames, then
you'd have to create corresponding UNIX users and set the password to
their Windows password.  If you have more than 10 users or so, it'd be
easier to setup LDAP auth with Samba 3 to manage.

Jeremy