[NBLUG/talk] hard drive death, filesystem types

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 17 10:17:40 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 23:20 -0800, Scott Doty wrote:
> Just wanted to mention that dd can be made to skip errors -- from the man
> page:
>
>        noerror
>               continue after read errors

More specifically:
dd conv=noerror if=[input] of=[output]

As for Maxtor hard disks, I'm willing to cut them some slack on this.
Although I've had two Maxtor hard disks fail, I got them both replaced
via warranty with little fuss, and I have several other Maxtor hard
disks that have run without the slightest hiccup since I bought them.

It may just be a coincidence that you've had bad luck with Maxtor hard
disks; there's no way to be sure.  However, I recall that a few years
ago, someone posted to this very list a message about a bug in the
Pentium registers of Athlon processors that could cause the system to
crash randomly (under *any* OS), and my Athlon system (which had run
quite reliably until then) crashed within just a few minutes of the
posting, before I even had a chance to check my e-mail!  Having had such
an experience, I'm inclined to expect an occasional, really weird
incident.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Do you think that illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?