[NBLUG/talk] No sound?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 24 22:10:20 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 13:54 -0800, Nat W wrote:
> Im running a dell inspiron 2500 and for some reason
> linux isn't seeing the
> onboard sound. Everywhere ive looked online tells me
> to use ALSA. But they
> just say that because they were having troubles with
> OSS.  I know that the
> sound should work because when I had fedora core 1 it
> worked fine, without
> me doing anything.

What kind of sound device does the Dell Inspiron 2500 have?  Can you
remember what kernel module it used before the upgrade?  That should be
the first step to solve this problem.

If you don't know what kind of sound card you have, try running "lcpci"
and see if it offers any clues.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Tomorrow, this will be part of the unchangeable past but fortunately,
it can still be changed today.