[NBLUG/talk] UNIX file sharing with an eMac

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Fri Dec 31 13:59:26 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 10:50:25AM -0800, Peter Lutz wrote:
> Has anyone succeeded in exporting a user's directory to other systems,
> such as a Linux box?  I have made an /etc/exports file that contains:
> /Users/myusername       host1(rw)       host2(rw)       host3(rw)

Mac OS X is weird when it comes to this kind of stuff.  For the most part,
it doesn't use most files in /etc.  What is really used is the netinfo
database.  You need to put that configuration into the proper part of the
netinfo database.  On MacOSX, there's "NetInfo Manager" under "Utilities"
that lets you edit things.  I don't think the way to set up NFS exporting is
obvious there, however.  If you were running the server version of OSX,
there'd be a tool to help out.  I've never used it, but there's a utility to
help out on the non-server version of OSX:
http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

> On the Linux box I added this line to my /etc/fstab file:
> emac:/Users/myusername  /mnt/emac  nfs
> rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,noauto,users 0   0
>
> When I try to mount /mnt/emac, I get the following error message:
> mount: emac:/Users/myusername failed, reason given by server: Permission
> denied
>
> Do I need to do more?  I did reboot the emac a couple of times.
> OS X 10.3.7

It's probably a lot easier to set up SMB based access, actually.  Just turn
on "Windows Sharing" on the OSX box (in "Sharing" inside System
Preferences), then on the linux box, put something like this into
/etc/fstab:
//emac/Users/myusername /mnt/emac smbfs username=myusername,password=mypassword,uid=localusername,rw 0 0

Run smbclient first; you can use that to find out exactly what that first
part should be.

(or instead of the username and password straight in /etc/fstab, you can
make a credentials file and point at that.  read the manpage for smbmount)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Scribe