[NBLUG/talk] iPlanet - the continuing saga (network stuff this time)

ac at sonic.net ac at sonic.net
Mon Feb 2 21:14:02 PST 2004

> Thanks for the tip - strace did indeed spew, but nothing interesting.
> However, in the meantime I've managed to track down an error log (it was
> dumping it to a somewhat non-intuative subdirectory).  Here's a snippet:
>
> "Can't load library
>  "/usr/iplanet/servers/bin/https/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so", because
> symbol
> __libc_wait, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link
> time reference"
>
> Then:
>
> "Internal error: unable to create JVM" "Failure to load JVM (check your
> JRE)" "Late initialization failed: Error running init function(late)
> NSServletLateInit: unknown error"

The good news is that we were able to install the iplanet software on a
different system running RH 7.2, but this isn't exactly ideal as we still
have to link ODBC sources, which hasn't been pretty.  So, we're still
trying to set this up on the RH 9 system.  I've hacked away at this all
day and the only thing I've found is that Sun did a bad thing by using "a
private method in libc6: __libc-wait in their libjava.so 1.3.1", which was
an internal private call that should have never been used.

Based on instructions that I found at
http://www-math.math.rwth-aachen.de/MapleAnswers/1613.html, the best way
to fix this is to install libc6-2.2.5, but those are instructions for a
Debian installation and I can't find RPM's or source files for anything
libc6 related.  How would I go about obtaining these old files or
otherwise getting around this nasty little bug?

A thousand praises for all of the help I've received.  I've already spent
three days getting this far, and I can't imagine how long it would have
taken me without all of the help.

A.C.
******