[NBLUG/talk] iPlanet - the continuing saga (network stuff this time)

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Feb 2 22:17:00 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 09:13:17PM -0800, ac at sonic.net wrote:
} > "Can't load library
} >  "/usr/iplanet/servers/bin/https/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so", because
} > symbol
} > __libc_wait, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link
} > time reference"
}
} The good news is that we were able to install the iplanet software on a
} different system running RH 7.2, but this isn't exactly ideal as we still
} have to link ODBC sources, which hasn't been pretty.  So, we're still
} trying to set this up on the RH 9 system.  I've hacked away at this all
} day and the only thing I've found is that Sun did a bad thing by using "a
} private method in libc6: __libc-wait in their libjava.so 1.3.1", which was
} an internal private call that should have never been used.
}
} Based on instructions that I found at
} http://www-math.math.rwth-aachen.de/MapleAnswers/1613.html, the best way
} to fix this is to install libc6-2.2.5, but those are instructions for a
} Debian installation and I can't find RPM's or source files for anything
} libc6 related.  How would I go about obtaining these old files or
} otherwise getting around this nasty little bug?

There are several other compat- rpms in RedHat 9, I'd give some of them
a try.  Also Redhat 6.?  thru 7.3 had these rpms:  compat-glibc- and
compat-libs- which are more backwards compatible libraries.  I seem to
have them installed on my RedHat 9 system, but they are from 6.2 or
earlier.  All these compat- rpms contain old library files, and the rpms
from 7.2 or 7.3 will probably install on 9 without any problems.
compat-glibc and/or compat-libs is probably what you need.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com