[NBLUG/talk] Video Card suggestions

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Sat Feb 7 22:11:01 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 10:03:14PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> I am building a monster box and can't decide between ATI and NVIDIA chipset.
> The mid-level cards with 128M onboard seem as high as I want to go.  ATI
> Radeon 9000 or the nVidia GeForce FX5000 series.  2D drivers are well
> supported with ATI but the 3D drives go proprietary.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion?  I am not going to do any gaming... or not much.
> Probably some video editing and PVR stuff - I want to try Freevo and MythTV.
>
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> P4 3.0Ghz 800Mhz
> 1G DDR 3200 RAM
> vrrrrooommm

Yes indeed.

I just built a monster box, got the Nvidia Quatro Pro:

VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV28GL [Quadro4 980 XGL] (rev a1)

This is a two-port DVI card, and you can get analog VGA adaptors for a few
bucks.

Nvidia has _much_ better drivers than xfree86 -- but, they will taint the
kernel.  Also, there's an issue with XV (the video interface, not the
program) which I still need to investigate:

Basically, at home, I tried loading up the latest Nvidia drivers for my
ti4600.  And XV didn't work!  I had to regress to my old drivers.

Hope that helps...

 -Scott