[NBLUG/talk] Video Card suggestions

Bryce Hardy cygnia at sonic.net
Sun Feb 8 07:50:04 PST 2004

Mark Street wrote:

> I am building a monster box and can't decide between ATI and NVIDIA chipset.
> The mid-level cards with 128M onboard seem as high as I want to go.  ATI
> Radeon 9000 or the nVidia GeForce FX5000 series.  2D drivers are well
> supported with ATI but the 3D drives go proprietary.

We're in the same boat. I'm building a new box myself, and the video
card is the hardest part to decide on. I'm going to be getting the
GeForce FX 5600 with 256MB DDR. It's listed as Linux compatible right
there on the spec sheet of newegg.com. If you have a distro like SuSE it
will fetch the drivers for you and install them automatically. At least
I'm hoping so... :-)

My other specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (3.2 GHz) / AOpen AK77-600N Mobo / 1 GB PC3200 RAM

---
Bryce Hardy (Santa Rosa, CA)
cygnia at sonic.net