[NBLUG/talk] Reviving a dead hard drive

Tim Preston timp at sonic.net
Sun Feb 8 20:11:01 PST 2004

One of the other lists I am on just went through this...

Freezing, suck out the air in a zip loc bag

Physical shock, along the line of the platters

Spin test, hold the drive in your hand and twist the drive as you power
up the system.

If the drive spins up, freezing could solve a bad chip problem.
If the drive won't or is slow to spin up (Sticktion), freezing, physical
shock, spin test can break the platters loose.

pass it on...