[NBLUG/talk] Network/Route config question

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Fri Feb 13 08:45:01 PST 2004

Hey, everybody:

I've just set up my home computer so that my desktop allows
masquerading and acts as a gateway for my laptop.  After breaking and
then reconfiguring my wireless card, the network configuration, etc.,
etc., I've managed to get it working (including a propoer firewall! [I
think...]).

For some reason, every time I boot up the laptop, I cannot access
the internet through my desktop until I have typed the following
command (with root privileges):

route add default gw jupiter

That adds a line to the output of 'route' that says:

default         jupiter.daveNet 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

This line is missing if you run route before running the 'route add... '
command.

My question is:  In what configuration file does this default info
belong, so I no longer have to type it in on the command line every
time I boot?

For the record, I'm running SuSE 8.2 with kernel version 2.4.20-4GB.

Thanks for the help.

-dave.