[NBLUG/talk] RH 8.0 boot file cannot copy

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sun Feb 15 23:31:02 PST 2004

Screw 2K Server man, install lilo or grub as the primary boot loader.  Why RH
8.0?  Go 9 or Fedora Core ; )

## = the boot partition number of your linux system.  Assumes it is on the
first IDE drive on the system.  Adjust accordingly.

commands below
-----------------------------

dd if=/dev/hda## of=/linux-boot-sector bs=512 count=1

## Put floppy in drive
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
cp /linux-boot-sector /mnt/floppy
sync
sync
umount /mnt/floppy
reboot

Stop it with the root chmod 777 stuff, you are scaring me.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer