[NBLUG/talk] Samba connection question

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Fri Feb 20 11:33:00 PST 2004

Is the 1Tmp directory being shared by Windoze?
smbclient -L
If so, you could run;

smbclient //Blue-Thunder/1Tmp

This would open up an interface much like ftp to put and get files from the
share.  FAT32 only though.  If NTFS you may have to recompile a module for
ntfs for Read Only access - Red Hat doesn't include the ntfs module in their
standard kernel.  Write is a bit wobbly... don't use it.

Also you can use smbmount to mount the share directly to your filesystem...

man smbmount.

smbmount //Blue-Thunder/1Tmp /mnt/BT1Tmp

I use an example of this in my class where I mount one of the kid's shared
windows CD-ROM's onto my web directory of my Linux box and access it from the
web.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer