[NBLUG/talk] Attempting an "ancient hardware" install...

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 20 15:53:01 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 15:28, E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 03:21:02PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> }
> } 2. Find a SCSI hard disk or CD-ROM drive that I can install from.  I'm
> } not sure if it's possible to boot an SE from a SCSI device, so this
> } might not work.  Is there anyone who is planning to go to the
> } InstallFest and who has an old SCSI CD-ROM drive (the connector
> } resembles a parallel port)?
>

> I can bring a SCSI CD-ROM drive tomorrow, but it doesn't
> have the SCSI port that looks like a parallel port (25
> pins?).  It's the 50 pin (SCSI II ?).  There are probably
> adapters to go between, but I don't have one.

Is the 50-pin connector the one that looks like an elongated
"Centronics" port (usually found on printers that connect to a parallel
port)?  If so, I think I already have such an adapter.

Do you know if that CD-ROM drive can read CD-RW's?  I'd like to use
CD-RW's if possible, since I don't know if this will work or not, but
since CD-R's are so cheap, it's not a big deal.

Meanwhile, I'll try to download the first Debian/m68k ISO (I'll worry
about the other ISO's later).

--
Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net>