[NBLUG/talk] Syntax of scp

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Sun Feb 29 08:23:01 PST 2004

The tarball will have the same absolute  or relative paths it was
created with...  so maybe
you want to do something like

$ cd $HOME
$ tar cfvz /tmp/home.tgz .
{......}
$ scp /tmp/home.tgz otherhost:.

Basically.. don't use an absolute path the home dir

$ tar cfvs /tmp/home.tgz /home/melvyn

because when you untar it, it will try to use the new path.  I think
there are arguments that will keep the path from being interpreted as
absolute, and maybe that's the default behavior now.  It used to be
that absolute paths were default, and a security breach was possible if
you could get root to untar a hostile file with (say) a new /etc/passwd
in it.

  -- Mitch