[NBLUG/talk] NBLUG Video

troy fryman at sonic.net
Sun Jan 11 12:56:01 PST 2004

Since Dustin gave me crap in #nblug this morning about (not) providing
feedback on the video stuff, here's my 0010 cents.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 11:24:30AM -0800, Daniel Kinon wrote:

> As far as distribution of the video in what format, I would really love
> some feedback on what kind of formats you would like to see distribured.
>
> We have had several ideas that I could use some feedback on too:
> 1) Xvid/DivX type compressed file (approx. 100-200mb)
> 2) Some Streaming Format
> 3) DVD-R or VCD/SVCD

VCD would be cool, I think.  My old DVD player can't play SVCD's, but I
don't know how common that inability is.  If I were to watch a meeting,
I'd prefer to do it in front of the TV rather than a monitor.  And
mplayer and friends can play S/VCD's as well.

It seems, since the likely distribution method is via an optical disc of
some sort, that size (Xvid/Divx) isn't that important.  A VCD of the
meetings should easily fit on 2 discs, maybe 1 depending on how ruthless
your editing is ;-)

The streaming thing would be interesting just for the sake of doing
it, but I don't think it would get much use.

> If you all could tell me what you think, maybe I can make some headway
> in this area.  Also if anyone has any tips or tricks that they would
> like to pass on about dealing with video on linux... feel free to toss
> it my way ;).

I know nada about video and even less about video on Linux.  I very much
look forward to seeing your presentation, however. :-)

-troy