[NBLUG/talk] Monitoring Hard Disks with SMART

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Wed Jul 14 09:40:06 PDT 2004

I wanted to share a good read on monitoring disks for failure:
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6983>

It's a long article, but the basics are simple to understand, and it's
an important subject (if you care about your data, that is)

I also wanted to give props to my old 40GB maxtor IDE drive which has
been running 24/7 for over 4 years, including a six month stretch in
Davis where it would often be 90+ in the house before I got home.  I
think i'm going to run it until it starts smoking, then put it under
glass!

-troy