[NBLUG/talk] Hayden to: Andrew, Troy, Bob and Augie

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Fri Jul 23 14:14:32 PDT 2004

hayden wrote on Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:35:42 -0700:

> To: Andrew, Forgive you????? Heck, I want to kiss you!!!

Umm... a handshake will do just fine, if we ever meet.  :-)  I'm
sorry I won't be able to make it to the InstallFest. I'll be out
of town. Maybe we'll meet at an NBLUG meeting.

As for learning how to run a Linux system, Augie's suggestion of
"use it to learn it" is, of course, paramount, but you'll want to
supplement that with plenty of reading. There's a huge amount of
Linux information on the Internet. All you have to do is Google
for it. If you do a search for [linux tutorial], for example,
you'll get millions of hits. Take your pick. If you decide to go
with Debian, I'd also recommend having a look through the
Documentation section on the Debian Website. Each distribution
has unique ways of doing certain things, and sometimes unique
tools for doing them. Debian is no different, and some of those
unique ways and tools will be pointed out in their docs. Another
site I'd recommend for a diverse and constantly-changing listing
of *nix-related articles is http://rootprompt.org/  I never fail
to find something of interest there.

As far as print books go, the one I recommend above all others is
O'Reilly's "Linux In A Nutshell". It is, by far, the book I reach
for most often. Linux has an immense array of command-line tools,
and most of those tools have many options -- way too many to
remember. This book lists most of the ones you're likely to use.
Plus, it has sections covering subjects such as bash, vi, sed,
awk, and package management in more detail. It's definitely a
good one to have. If you come to our meetings, you may be lucky
enough to win it (and/or other books) in our free raffles.

And, of course, if you get stuck on anything, give us a holler.
Have fun!

A.