[NBLUG/talk] What's up with that?

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Jun 4 16:10:34 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 03:57:59PM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> Hi, guys.
>
> I'm annoyed.  I am trying to install kdegames, and for a 'luxury'
> package, I am paying a pretty high price on the annoyance scale.
> Perhaps I am having a "teaching moment".
>
> I've tracked down what I believe are all of the necessary required
> packages.  I am now trying to install the damn thing via a source
> .rpm.

Whoa whoa whoa there. Installing from source rpms? Tracking down
dependencies? This is the 21st Century! :)

Any modern distribution, including Fedora, includes proper dependency and
package management so you can simply run the package installer and it will
pull down packages for you. Fedora comes with three, yum, apt4rpm, and
up2date all of which can work together (and even with the nice opencarpet
front-end) to download and install packages and dependencies for you.

I think you would have a lot fewer headaches if you tried installing the
kdegames package the "official" way through one of those programs.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org