[NBLUG/talk] got vpn?

Daniel Smith linux2002 at daniel.org
Sat Jun 5 08:45:26 PDT 2004

I want to set up a VPN here (Petaluma) and in NYC, and am trying
to figure out which routers to buy. [1]

I currently have an old SonicWall hardware box, but they make you
purchase keys for more than a small # of IP addresses, upgrading
to VPN, and so on.

Wishlist:

* $100-$200 per unit
* can handle more than one incoming VPN session at a time
* emails log files to me, or talks to syslog
* no artificially small limit on IP addresses (dole out
enough via DHCP to keep every machine in the house happy, even
if they are running things like Virtual PC processes with
their own IP addr)
* don't need wireless, got enough APs as it is

I'm not keen on having a dedicated Linux box with 2 NICs for this,
unless it was a diskless (noise...) unit with a really small form factor.

The New York folks recently talked about this:

http://www.soekris.com

http://m0n0.ch/wall

Any locals have experience with this?

Daniel

[1] to be used for:
home to home
wireless (T-Mobile, free wireless, etc.) tunnel -> Home -> Net