[NBLUG/talk] ADMTEK wireless Driver Update, sort of...

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Mon Jun 7 10:29:15 PDT 2004

Hey, everybody:

As noted in my previous posts, I am trying to get my wireless network
back on line using an experimental driver for my ADMTEK wireless pci
card.

I've been corresponding a bit with the maintainer of the card who has
been cranking out updates every couple of days or so (busy guy!).

The latest version does not cause a kernel panic, but that may simply
be because I am not loading it automatically at boot.  When I'm ready
to try it out, I load it with 'modprobe adm8211'.  For the last few
versions, that seems to work ok - the module is loaded although the
machine becomes a little jerky.  When I load the latest module,
however, the machine is locking up completely.

I am going to shoot the driver's maintainer an email about that, but
my question for the group is:

Is there a way to unlock the machine without shutting down the machine
and then turning it back on?  It's locked up in the sense that I can't
use the mouse, and none of the keyboard combinations I try have any
effect. I have to press and hold the power button until the machine
turns off and then reboot.  During reboot I'm asked to run a file
system check (which I do, if I'm not in a big hurry).

Thanks.

-dave.
--
Dave Sisley