[NBLUG/talk] HP 5200c scanner, Fedora Core 2, 2.6.5 kernel

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Mon Jun 14 17:52:05 PDT 2004

Just on a side note, you should be commended for placing your system is such
disarray for others to learn from your trials....  I am still too shy of
installing FC2 on any more machines.  I installed it clean on a single
machine without a problem and don't want to push my luck with an UPgrade.  I
would probably say that if you do want to hang out on the bleeding edge
FedoraCore it should probably not be an UPgrade on an existing system but a
fresh install.  ; )

OK, now what does the lsmod command show with the scanner plugged in.  Other
than the extra 36 or so lines in modules.conf everything looks normal enough.
Let's see if the kernel has the scanner modules loaded, look for things in
lsmod like usbcore and scanner, etc.

# lsmod

ex.
usb-uhci               26124   0  (unused)
ehci-hcd               20008   0  (unused)
usbcore                78752   1  [hid usb-uhci ehci-hcd]

I have a feeling hotplug has something to do with this....... rpm -qi hotplug

Description :
The term "hotplugging" refers to the dynamic reconfiguration performed
after a device has been attached to a running system. This package
contains the application which is called by the kernel when a USB
device is added; hotplug then loads the required modules for that
device.

rpm -ql hotplug to see the files that are associated with hotplug.

But let's wait and see what we find out from lsmod first before we blame
hotplug.

On Monday 14 June 2004 15:12, Dave Sisley wrote:
> Yeah, I know that *now*, and should have known beforehand.  I find I'm
> doing more cleanup this time than I've had to previously (RH7.3 -> RH8
> -> RH9 -> FC1 -> FC2).  Perhaps I was upgrading after letting each new
> version mature a bit before I grabbed it.  FC2 was *very* fresh when I
> installed it.  Not beta or testing, but fresh nonetheless.

> Hmmm... That's a bit long - what am I looking for here?  Hey.  Why are
> these lines repeated 37 times?
>
> alias /dev/ttySHSF[0-9]* /dev/ttySHSF
> alias /dev/cuaHSF[0-9]* /dev/ttySHSF
> alias /dev/hsfdiag* /dev/hsfdiag

looks like a modem/serial device of some sort. hmmmm.

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com