[NBLUG/talk] x problem

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Sat Jun 19 07:19:38 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 11:03:43PM -0700, Steve Smith wrote:
> I just started having problems setting the display from one
> machine to another and am stuck.  I've checked everything I
> can think of.
>
> I have two machines: a laptop called leia and an old Sony
> VAIO desktop called betty.
>
> I just added wireless to the laptop and it seems to have
> stopped working now from the either wired etherneet and
> won't work with the wireless although things seem ok from
> the desktop box.

Hi, Steve:

Do you have X Forwarding enabled in your /etc/ssh/ssh_config file?
(That's where it is in my Fedora Core 2 machine.)  I'm not sure if
that's what you need but it sounds close.  There should be a line in
that file that says:  'ForwardX11 yes'.

This allows you to run x programs from the remote screen and they
display on your local machine.  I use it all the time (or I used to,
before I broke my wireless setup; see my earlier wireless posts).  I
would ssh into my desktop and run OpenOffice or some other program
from the remote machine.  To do this I never had to set the display,
it just worked.

Hope that helps!

-dave.

--