[NBLUG/talk] SuSE 9.0 on Dell Inspiron 1000

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Mon Jun 21 11:02:53 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:06:29PM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:

> I've been curious about this - can an XP machine be set up to dual
> boot with linux without Partition Magic?  Back when I first split my
> desktop (RH 8, I think or 9, latest) it seemed the only option was to
> use Partition Magic because linux didn't know how to deal with the
> ntfs.

There's a (free in both senses) tool called ntfsresize that works well.
<http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html>

It could only shrink about 4MB of the primary partition on my laptop
because of unmovable clusters at the end of the partition, but it
usually fares better.

I think it's even part of GNU parted now.  If you're wondering how to
use this when your problem is that you can't get Linux installed in the
first place...  Use one of the live cd's like Knoppix or the very slick
Mepis.

-troy