[NBLUG/talk] Machine Check Exception?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 24 16:58:30 PDT 2004

I seem to be getting strange errors from a box running Debian/unstable
that started a while ago whenever I try to write to a floppy disk, but
that now seem to occur at random.  Some kind of machine check exception
followed by a bunch of hexadecimal gobbledeygook (I can't cut and paste
it to the computer I'm using for e-mail, and I'd like to avoid re-typing
it if I possibly can).  It is followed by the following message:

Kernel Panic: CPU 0 context corrupt

The only thing I can see that might explain this problem is that the
recent heat wave may have damaged the CPU, even though I installed a
massive fan that moves 89 cubic feet of air per minute.  I'm fairly
certain that it's not a software issue, because I've tried re-installing
Debian with no luck (it still panics), and none of my other boxes (which
are all running Debian and using the same kernel version) are
experiencing such a problem.

What could be causing this kind of error?  Do I need a new CPU?  A new
motherboard?  Water-cooling?

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>