[NBLUG/talk] Need some help with XWindows

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Thu Mar 11 14:55:01 PST 2004

> I messed up my XWindows for one user, "todd".  If I login as any other
> user, all is fine, but as "todd", there are some strange shaped
> components on the screen.  I deleted the user "todd" and re-created him,
>  but the problem persists.
>
> This appears to be a good opportunity to learn a little more about
> XWindows on my "play computer".   What should I look at?

Create *another* new user, not "todd".  Does that one inherit the
wierdness?  If so, then it looks like something in the way the system
intitiates X for new users (or default values for existing users,
which existing users who *don't* use the default method don't see).

IMHO & all that.

Some things I might check... $PATH, $LIBPATH, etc (maybe you're using
odd/mismatched values?), X-initialization files.  Do you, by any chance,
have more than one version of X on your system?  Compare the values for
"good" accounts with those for "todd".

If your other new user *doesn't* inherit "todd-like" problems, then
SOMEHOW it appears the system "knows" the user "todd," even accross
instances of user-destruction & recreation.  8-/

Then, I'd try the sequence of:
   delete-todd (including $HOME & any other toddities)
   reboot
   create-todd (make sure the UID changes).

- Steve S.